Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The American Dream


I remember being young with dreams. I also remember being told, stop all that dreaming, pick a real career, and have a back-up plan. As time passed, my dreams faded and my back up plan became my only plan. Do I think I was told wrong, NO.   I believe that society subscribed to the American Dream of work hard, go to school, get a job, get married , have a few kids, and maybe a dog and that will equal a good life.

As a person who also subscribed to this belief, I did just that. I went to school 3x’s over. Got multiple degrees, looked for the perfect job—you know the one with the perfect perks, and perfect pay still looking. Found a guy, got married, and became a step-mom, without the dog…. allergies wouldn't allow it.  

We got what society would be considered “good pay” and we lived what society would call a good life.

All the dreams of actress, writer, newscaster, talk show host, suddenly became ridiculously silly to me.  I found myself saying what were you thinking; you know a future like that isn't meant for you. Even though I wasn't sure why I didn't feel I deserved it.

Well, one day I looked at my bucket list over 30 wishes and wants, before I leave this place, and realized while some of these things I could accomplish, some of them I would never afford to be able to do. Now when I say afford, we automatically think I mean…. I will never have the money. Well not quite. Yes some things would be expensive, but time also came into play.

Right now, my husband and I work almost 24 hours a day between the both of us. With him on the night shift, me on the day shift we hardly see each other. I leave the house at 7am and return around 8pm, so even something as simple as gardening, I just don't have the time to do.

So what does that say when you work to enjoy life, but you have no time to enjoy those things OR, after you have paid all the bills you have little left?

Well religion will tell you, be blessed for what you have.Well you should always be thankful, but does that mean complacency is acceptable?

Workaholics will tell you, work harder. Well wouldn't that still leave you with less time?

Optimists will tell you, things will change just keep a positive attitude. Well, things only change, if you change them right?

All those suggestions probably leave the average American frustrated. The dream slowly becomes your living nightmare, your daily reality. A constant cross-road of, where do I go from here?

I really wish this blog had the solution for you, but honestly it comes down to choices.
Go back to the drawing board, start over and take chances. Make the best of your circumstances, get rid of the bucket list, it will only serve to depress you. OR….find a career that allows you to meet your family’s needs as well as give you more time to enjoy this one little life we get.  The last one is easier said than done, but probably the best decision to make.

What is your choice?  I am still on my cross-road. Commuting, 3 hours, working 8 and sometimes more literally leaves me with enough time to sleep. It’s not the best life, it’s not the worst. It’s the life I have today. I think it is these moments in our life, where we make the toughest, realist, most effective decisions. As I said you only get to do this thing called life ONCE….. so how will you live?

The American Dream , I have learned is just about as real as the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause, and the Easter Bunny. My biggest regret is not, chasing my dreams, not taking chances, and playing it safe. Now left, with a ridiculous amount of student loan debt, 40 hour work weeks, and sleep being defined as what I like to do in my free time I find myself ready to take a different leap….stay tuned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Image by DaPino Graphics