Monday, September 23, 2013

The 30’s Dilemmas: You No Longer Have Plenty of Time

Remember, when you were in your 20’s and you were just living life to live? If you didn't have kids, the response was you have plenty of time. If you were career hopping, or uncertain of what you wanted to be when you “grew up”, you were told take your time. You will have your entire life to focus on your career.

Well not everyone had that advice, but I am sure many can relate.  Almost overnight you hit 30, and it is no longer acceptable to party Thursday- Sunday.

It’s kind of crazy, that in my 20’s I thought I had it all figured out. I wasn't actually doing anything to get there; I just figured it would all come together. I am certain I am not the only one with the same dilemma. I am no longer being told you have plenty of time.  I get the famous, “No kids, you better hurry up you aren't getting any younger.” I get the side eye when I say I am still entry level in my career. After all 3 degrees, and what should have been extensive experience and career development, I should be further ahead than that RIGHT?

I don’t say all this to self deprecate, and get a bunch of empty reassurance, but I say this to put out there's a 30’s trap we fall into and a way we got there. Sometimes just acknowledging you went the wrong direction can put you back on the right path. So what trap did you fall into?

THE MIRACLE
This is that moment in your life where you achieve spiritual clarity. Often times in the infancy stage we get a little delusional about how “blessings” really work. At least I know I did We put no real effort into planning our own lives; we are spiritually responsible with some false sense of religious loyalty and then subscribe to the fact that God is going to bless us with something we didn't actually work for.

Don’t you just love those people who are sitting back effortless waiting for God to deliver the miracle to their doorstep? When things go terribly wrong, then they defend their lack of progress with this is a test from God, or its coming, or the all famous the devil really trying to block blessings. Great way to take NO responsibility for what we contribute to our own successes and failures. 

When you move from this space you are devastated, because suddenly you realize I am responsible for my success. There is no imaginary source out there working to destroy you as you Facebook, instead of looking for a career. The devil isn’t trying to block you from a husband, but it’s a small possibility that the guy at the bar too drunk to remember your name is a good candidate.

DENIAL
I lived here for a while. This is when you actually convince yourself, you ARE doing everything you can to be successful. Then try to convince yourself, that since you are doing better than others ALSO doing badly, that you are actually in a good place. This is when you hear yourself saying things like, “It could be worse, I know others with less than me.” 

Well there will ALWAYS be people with less, but that’s no reason to not strive for more. Or to be honest with yourself and say “Hey I need to change my thinking if I want to be successful” I don’t know one single successful person, who got there by focusing on being complacent or continually making excuses.

THE EXCUSE MAKER 
Don’t you love this type! The one who says I am 30, but I had a bad life, or the man ....who is this man held me down. The famous of late, the economy is just so bad. I've even heard God told me this is where I need to be. Successes still happens in a bad economy, not all successful people were born with a silver spoon, matter fact, many had bad lives and that was their drive to be successful so they didn't have to continue to live with less.

The excuse maker will never take responsibility for their own decisions. It will always be some reason or someone who is responsible for their lack of success.

THE GUILTY ONE
This is the one I struggle with the most. Although I have been guilty of each one of these. The guilty one convinces themselves, they actually DON’T want or deserve more. They feel guilty saying I want to be rich, I want to be married, I want to have nice things, and I want a big home. Go back to the religious one, the desire for things makes them feel like they love God less.

They will actually try to convince themselves that they are horrendous for even speaking such desires out loud, so they overcompensate by reassuring people they are NOT materialistic. This is a horrible existence, because it is a constant internal battle, and you actually sabotage yourself, so that way the things you want are not even possible.

So which, one are you? I find at 36 people expect me to take my life goals more seriously. People judge you, by what you have NOT accomplished. It speaks to your drive. I also believe people are also able to better separate the talkers from the doers.

 I was told the amount of money you have in your savings account at 40 is very reflective of what you will have when you retire. If you don’t have a plan in place for retirement, investment and your overall future in your 30’s you more than likely WON’T ever have one.


What I am learning is you can’t just stop at the degree; you have to execute a life plan. It’s never too late, but as you get older the journey gets harder. In the end your success is UP TO YOU.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Image by DaPino Graphics