Monday, July 14, 2014

Keeping IT REAL

One of the biggest things  out of my comfort zone to date I have decided to do is embrace the natural texture of my hair.  Women, black women specifically hold a great source of self esteem in the appearance of our tresses.

When making this decision, I decided to go a step beyond being natural. I also wanted to embrace the luxury of being versatile with my hair. Meaning if i want to wear it straight I do, if I want to be happy kinky and curly I can, if I want to be weavetastic have at it. Whatever I want to do I can without being identified as less than or more than because of my hair.

My decision was based off a morning where I woke up at 4:00 a.m. to straighten my hair for a presentation  because I didn't think I would look professional if I didn't. At some point I had been taught the "natural" texture of my hair was unprofessional.

That morning I decided that I would focus on embracing MY texture, as well as focusing on healthy hair vs. straight. I encourage  all women to take this journey of acceptance with their hair. The fun in finding sexy, fun and sassy ways to wear your own hair can be a very liberating journey. 

I remember a  time where if my hair was a mess it would ruin my entire day. I have recalled times where I even called into work because I didn't feel presentable with hair that wasn't bone straight. The wonderful thing in this process is not being afraid of the water and rain anymore. Water has actually become a friend, and while I am still learning all the ins and outs I will chart my journey as a way to encourage others to embrace their personal hair journey. 

Our hair is not who we are, but how we love and care for our bodies and our hair are reflections of how we feel about ourselves and our culture. Good hair is healthy hair! People can try to put you in a box, but it is you who chooses whether or not you want to stay in it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Image by DaPino Graphics